About one hour and a half from Lux city, there’s a fantastic family-friendly resort called Center Parc Bostalsee.
Some of you who know me best would ask: but, I thought you were not a fan of Center Parcs?! Well, that’s indeed true! Even tought there are many details that I’m not a fan of, I have to admit that the advantages of this particular one make me put a pro-vote on it!
First of all, let me explain the concept for those of you who are not familiar with it! Center Parcs are a group of all-year-round family-friendly resorts that you can find in Europe (mostly in France, Belgium and The Netherlands). The concept is simple: you rent a nice and comfortable mobile home (the level of comfort will depend on you budget) in the middle of a huge park whose center point is a big “dome”. The “dome” is a big building with restaurants, supermarket, playgrounds and the well-known “aqua-mundo”, an indoor swimming pool complex with a tropical theme and warm waters.
The Center Parc Bostalsee has it all, it is quite recent, so you have that “new” feeling, it has a little farm with friendly animals (including poneys) and lies around a big lake. Plus, it’s just by Luxembourg making it perfect for a long weekend or just a day out of family fun (yes, you can visit it for the day!).
Now, time to say something about the “minus” details: in my humble opinion, Center Parcs are overpriced… In the majority of the deals, nothing else is included in the price besides the overnight stay: for example towels or bed linen or even the final cleaning. The resorts are big, so that means that depending on your mobile home location you migh need to walk a lot everyday. Even though there are golf carts and bikes for rent, again it’s quite overpriced. And so are the onsite restaurants.
- Avoid the high season and long public weekends. Instead, take advantage of those weekends when your kids school is off on a Friday/Monday for other reasons (like staff meetings) and find out about the promotional deals available online
- Take your own bed linen and towels
- Plan your meals in advance and take your own food
- Bring waste bags (even if you get final cleaning in your package, you’ll have to collect all waste)
- Bring a kitchen kit (kitchen towel, dishwasher tabs, dish soap and sponge)
- Take your own bikes if you have a bike rack or consider at least the micro scooters or a kiddy wagon
- If it’s still cold season, bring your own wood and oil to lighten up the fireplace at the mobile home